Wednesday 22 December 2010

Exsqueeze me! A baking powder?

So, Sian and Tom have cancelled their Xmas drinks party tonight, Sian is ill L - hope she gets well soon, sounds nasty! Therefore I’ve had to have a re-think of my plans. No snowmen cakes... and a night in. So, I’ve had a flick through my (pretty small) DVD collection and have whipped out Wayne's World, I used to love it so much, but haven’t watched it in years, I hope it’s as good as I remember!
To accompany Wayne’s World, Wayne’s World, Party Time, Excellent! Party on Wayne! Sorry, I digress... I am having some white wine and am making my favourite cous cous dish.
So, here is the recipe, that I found in a free Sainsburys magazine years ago, entitled
“T.V Dinner”
(cous cous with sweet potato and smoked paprika)
Original recipe says to use quinoa (pronounded “keen-wah” in case you go and ask for it the phonetic way and they give you a strange look).  
Get these:


I forgot to photograph the damn lemmon (get one of them too!) – preferably unwaxed.
Quantities are not that important here, only when it comes to the cous cous.
Original recipe (for one person) says to get:
250g sweet potato
3 cloves of garlic, whole but peeled
¼ tsp smoked paprika
1 chicken breast (optional)
Quinoa or cous cous and the relevant amount of stock to soak
Zest of one lemon (hence unwaxed)
4 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
...................................................................................................................
Preheat oven to 200 degrees (180 for fan assisted)
Peel and chop sweet potato into chunks (see photo - about 1 and ½ cm cubes)
Peel the garlic cloves
Throw the above in a big bowl, add the oil and smoked paprika and mix

Spread the mixture flat onto a baking tray

If you’re cooking chicken with it too, lighly oil the chicken breast and season with salt and pepper.
When the sweet potato has cooked for 15 mins, add the chicken to the baking tray, reduce oven temperature to 180 or 160 (depending on if it’s fan assisted) and add the chicken breast to the baking tray and cook for a further 16-18 minutes.
About 5 minutes before the chicken has cooked, chop the flat-leaf parsley.
Grate the zest of the lemon.
Cover the cous cous in stock according to packet guidelines and place a plate over the bowl of cous cous so it can absorb the stock.
Stir the lemon zest and parsley through the cous cous.
Shred the chicken (if using) and stir the chicken, garlic and sweet potato into the cous cous.
The paprika oil will colour the cous cous a lovely shade of orange and it will smell fantastic!
I make this whenever I go to someone’s B-B-Q or for staff buffet lunches (just make the quantities bigger), it’s equally as nice cold. When I make it for myself, I use chicken stock as I find it tastier, but use a vegetable stock cube if it’s to take somewhere so as not to alienate the vegetarians...
And here it is - double portion (I’m having it cold for lunch tomorrow too).

Right, off to watch Wayne, then I might arrange some social events (build it and they will come) – that was the last Wayne’s world reference, promise!
J:)

No comments:

Post a Comment