Thursday 3 February 2011

Belated Blackberry & Brambley Apple Birthday Loaf Cake

After I'd finished watching Murray get demolished in the Australian open final on Sunday morning I drove back to Wales to attend my Godson's 2nd birthday lunch and to catch up with the family.
It was also my Mum's birthday a couple of weeks ago and so after lunch on Saturday I whizzed up a "Blackberry and Apple loaf cake" (mainly because Harriet, Priya and I ate the one I whizzed up Saturday morning).

Mmmmm... those crushed sugar lumps on the top were amazing!



If you'd like to give this a go:-

You will need:

Butter for greasing
350g / 12oz cooking apples
3 tbsp lemon juice
350g / 12oz self-raising wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra for dusting
115g / 4 oz light muscavado sugar
1 egg, beaten
200 ml low-fat natural yogurt
55g / 2 oz white or brown sugar lumps crushed

What you do:

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
Grease and line a 900g loaf tin

Peel core and finely dice the apples. Place them in a saucepan with the lemon juice, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, until soft and pulpy. Beat well and set aside to cool.

Sift the flour, baking powder and Cinnamon into a bowl, adding any husks that remain in the sieve. Stir in 70g of the blackberries.

Make a well in the centre of the ingredients and add the egg, yogurt and cooled apple puree. Mix well to incorporate thoroughly. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.

Sprinkle the remaining blackberries, pressing them into the cake mixture and top with the crushed sugar lumps. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside in the tin to cool.

Remove the cake from the tin and peel away the lining paper. Serve dusted with cinnamon.





And the recipe came from a cute little book that I got given the last time I was in Wales.
"I love Sugar" (a Marks and Spencers dessert collection) has some really nice recipes. Thank you Sarah :)



And I've been flicking through deciding upon what to make next, marking the pages with these adorable little skinny Paperchase post-its that were part of my Xmas present from Priya....



My friends know me so well :)

J :)

No comments:

Post a Comment