Friday 22 April 2011

Mars Bar Cornflake Cakes (Easter Style-eeeee!)

As a thank you for tending to my unruly garden today I made my parents some Easter treats in the form of "Easter Mars Bar Cornflake Cakes" At one point I did stop and question whether they were a bit "kiddy" for my Mum and Dad, but then I thought, you know what, they've eaten fish fingers, alphabites and baked beans every Monday night for about 20 years...! I concluded they wouldn't mind, they didn't, they loved them. "Scrumptious!" said my Dad, reaching for a 3rd one...
So, anyway, they were easy (very easy) and very, very tasty.


To make these you will need:

50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
260g Mars bars, chopped into 1cm pieces
150g cornflakes

What you do:

Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper liners (my mixture made 15)
Melt the butter and golden syrup over a very low heat, stirring constantly.
Add the chopped mars bar until just melted.
Remove from the heat and gently fold in the cornflakes.
Refrigerate the cakes

...............

To top (you will need):

90g good quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 tablespoon of semi-skimmed milk
1/2 teaspoon of good quality vanilla extract
125g of icing sugar (sifted)

What you do:

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water (don't let the bowl hit the water).
Meanwhile use an electric whisk to mix the butter, icing sugar, vanilla and milk in a large bowl.
Add the melted chocolate to the large bowl and mix until it forms a smooth, thick frosting.

...............


Top the refrigerated cakes with the frosting and plonk some mini eggs on top. As usual I couldn't resist the edible glitter....







The recipe comes from "Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery" by Martha Swift.

It's actually the first recipe I've made from this book but I was sold on the Nigella endorsement on the cover, the nice cake presentation ideas and I also liked the way it was organised into a calendar year with seasonal recipes. It's a good format and "The Hummingbird Bakery" clearly thought so to make their new book read in the same way...


At some point I'll make the pilgrimage to London to eat at both of these Cupcake establishments,



but in the meantime I'll keep baking the cakes and deciding which ones to try when I get there...

Happy Easter!

J :)


No comments:

Post a Comment